Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Router bit for cutting Deep mortise

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
I wish to cut 1/2" wide mortises all the way through a fourbyfour
(cutting from both sides of course). Was just about to order the
Amana bit# 45426 which is a double-fluted straight plunge bit, with
1/2" shank, 1/2" cutting diameter and a 2" cutting height.

Will use a DeWalt 2.25HP Router. Is the above bit adequate for this
job (or do I need to look at spiral-fluted)? Just because the bit
has a 2" cutting height doesn't mean I should plan to try to cut more
than 3/16 to 1/4" at a time, right?

Depends...oak or pine (hard or soft)?

Your life would be easier if you drilled a 1/2" starting hole, then a
series of 3/8" holes through the 4x4 before routing.

--

dadiOH

I believe the 4by4s will be SYP. Your idea involving drilling makes a lot of
sense!
Before this task is complete I may have a DP--not sure! : ) Thank you!

Hmm... Harbor Freght has one with a 2" spindle stroke for $59.99
(comments?).

For the sake of comparison, a long spiral-fluted (solid-carbide) bit is
about $68. : )

Bill