Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default "Adjust Tru" Chucks

On Apr 24, 9:33*pm, Searcher7 wrote:
I have a mini-lathe, but even for those with the larger machines I was
looking for opinions on whether or not the "Adjust Tru" feature on
something like the Bison is really worth the money.

Is any gain is speed or possible accuracy really worth the cost that
these go for?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I've really not felt the need. I don't do long production runs of the
same stuff, after a bit of practice, centering up in a 4-jaw doesn't
take that much time and you'd have to go through the same gyrations to
set the adjustments on the fancy 3-jaw, since they aren't going to be
the same for every spot on the jaws' scroll. You've still got to check
run-out with an indicator. I've got a 3-jaw, but it's seldom on the
lathe. I find a 6-jaw to be more useful.

Stan