Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default WHERE does weed killer get INTO the plant (leaves? roots? stem?mechanism?)

On Apr 25, 1:06*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
How does weed killer get INTO the plant (leaves? roots? stem? mechanism?)

"This product moves through the plant from the point of foliage"

I'm spraying the stems, the ground, and the leaves ... but ... I wonder ....
what is the mechanism that allows UPTAKE of the glyphosate?

Osmosis.

I looked up how weed killers kill, and can easily ascertain that
glyphosates mimick the natural EPSP Synthase needed as a catlyst for the
plant to create proteins ... but nothing I've found so far tells me how the
glyphosate is ABSORBED into the plant and WHERE it is best applied
(leaves?, stem?, roots?).

"Annual weeds are easiest to control when they are small. Best control
of most perennial weeds is obtained when treatment is made at late
growth stages
approaching maturity. Refer to the “ANNUAL WEEDS”, “PERENNIAL WEEDS”
and
“WOODY BRUSH AND TREES RATE TABLES” for recommendations for specific
weeds."

Mostly, I'm left with huge tangles of poison-oak stems ... so I ask ...
WHERE does weed killer get INTO the plant and how?

"For best results, spray coverage should be uniform and complete. Do
not spray weed foliage to the point of runoff."

"FOR PRODUCT INFORMATION OR ASSISTANCE IN USING THIS
PRODUCT, CALL TOLL-FREE,
1-800-332-3111.
2. IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY INVOLVING THIS HERBICIDE PRODUCT, OR FOR
MEDICAL
ASSISTANCE, CALL COLLECT, DAY OR NIGHT,
(314)-694-4000."
http://www.umt.edu/sentinel/roundup_label.pdf