Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Income gap between rich and poor

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Ignoramus31606" wrote in
message ...

There is some evidence that the lousy individual health insurance
situation in this country has been a barrier for MANY potential
startups.

It isn't just startups, Ed.
I saw a story about a college kid diagnosed with a disease that was
expensive to treat. IIRC, he was a grad student and pretty
exceptional. In the end, he dropped out of school and went to work
for one of the midwest's big sporting goods or hardware chains at a
pretty modest wage as a
full time employee in order to have coverage that would pay for his
treatment.

He's still got his student loans and will probably get work suitable
to his
education and training but he's otherwise dead in the water.
That sort of thing seems a terrible waste to me.

It is, any way you look at it. As health care reform develops and
unfolds, it should put an end to that waste, and to the burden faced
by many US employers involved in international trade. Many countries
completely unload that burden from employers -- although it does show
up in taxes of various types. But the direct addition to
manufacturing costs from health care insurance is much less among
several of our important trading partners.

One of the real benefits of health-care reform will be to startups and small
business.
They'll be on a more equal footing when it comes to hiring and the benefit
of taxed based support means you don't end up crushed by costs as your
profits swing up and down.

90 percent of the jobs in America are created by business's less than five
years old.
On that basis alone, health-care reform is a jobs bill and we are eventually
going to have a single payer system anyway.
It's unavoidable.

--
John R. Carroll