Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Router bit for cutting Deep mortise

On 4/25/2010 2:22 AM, Bill wrote:
I wish to cut 1/2" wide mortises all the way through a fourbyfour (cutting
from both sides of course). Was just about to order the Amana bit# 45426
which is a double-fluted straight plunge bit, with 1/2" shank, 1/2" cutting
diameter and a 2" cutting height.

Will use a DeWalt 2.25HP Router. Is the above bit adequate for this job
(or do I need to look at spiral-fluted)? Just because the bit has a 2"
cutting height doesn't mean I should plan to try to cut more than 3/16 to
1/4" at a time, right?

For plunge routing, and particularly with my Multi-Router, I use "end
mills", instead of router bits.

I generally buy them from:

http://www.travers.com/prodlist.asp?...h&q=end%20mill

You can get much longer "end mills", they work much better for deep
routing, and they are generally longer lasting and much less expensive
than router bits of the same ilk.

Call Travers, tell them what task you are doing with the end mills and
what your needs are, and they will tell you precisely what you need
without you having to wade through the countless choices on their web
site/catalog.

Trust them ... good company with excellent, well informed sales staff.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010