Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Income gap between rich and poor

On Apr 24, 1:35*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
If you hit the lottery, you can send the money to me so you won't have to
revisit your (mis)understanding of "lucky."
Ed Huntress

I don't play the lottery; I studied math and can calculate the odds. I
gamble by taking jobs at high-tech startups where I can affect the
outcome by solving problems.

My father is a good example here. He was a poor Southern farm boy who
went into the cotton mills when the farm failed. While there he took
classes and advanced from retying broken threads to cost accounting.
Knowing all the production details he was good at it, worked his way
up to management partly thanks to Air Corps OCS and eventually was
invited to be the first CFO of a newly formed NH department.
Unfortunately that meant we had to leave the wonderful 1830 brick
house we had restored.

He was 'lucky' enough to discover the advantage of buying and
renovating old houses into apartments in his (our) spare time, and
taught himself, and me, carpentry, wiring and plumbing well enough to
pass inspections.

jsw