Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Income gap between rich and poor

"Stu Fields" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Apr 24, 1:35 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I have my own version: Wresting the controls out of the hands of my
glider
"instructor" as he was about to stall our Schweitzer 2-33 into a pile of
concrete rubble that looked like a WWII tank trap, from 50 feet, and
having
his hand slip off of the stick as I pushed the nose down -- because he
outweighed me by about 100 pounds.

I was lucky that he sweats. It probably was life and death. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

That was something you wanted to accomplish and made the effort to get
it done.

Luck would be having the "instructor" faint and fall against the
control which nosed the plane down.

Dan

If I was sitting behind him, I might have arranged something that had a
similar result. s8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Yeah I have my definition of luck: Shortly after take off in a small
helicopter, one blade went to a high pitch angle which shook the
helicopter so hard that I couldn't see the instruments. Mainly the rotor
tach. Either the high pitch angle slowed the rotor or my "Fixed Wing"
trained hand did with the result that the controls became non-functional.
First it yawed uncontrollably to the left, then rolled uncontrollably to
the left causing me to change from helicopter pilot to lawn dart
passenger. Had this occurred just a few seconds later, I would have had
sufficient altitude to really make a splash. As it was, I was only about
40' in the air when it happened. I cannot account for the timing any way
but "Luck". BTW people often asked me if I had to change my underwear.
On the contrary, I suffered from constipation for three days. It may have
had something to do with the stuck seat cushion.
The metal-work side of this story was that a simple fix was made indexing
the pitch horns to the blade grips so that this scenario would not recur.

Stu Fields

Aack! That sounds like one of the stories my old power instructor would have
told me, when I was 16 and asked him if he'd teach me to fly helicopters.

"Son," he said once. "The difference is that an airplane wants to fly. A
helicopter wants to crash." g

--
Ed Huntress