Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Linseed oil on a fence

In message
"spamlet" wrote:

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
I've just made a picket fence, with H3 treated timber (this is
treated for above ground use). I've trying to decide what to
apply to it to provide some additional protection, and also
some cosmetic benefits. Our thinking is not to paint (I know,
best protection but more work and presumably cost, also we
prefer the natural wood look). A friend recommends boiled
linseed oil. From I've seen this would probably be the
cheapest option, but how good is it? I read an article that
refers to these disadvantages:

For a lot of things linseed oil = food. Not ideal for outdoors.
The 'boiled' is supposed to set more quickly, but a walking stick
I painted with the Screwfix variety last year, has been in the
airing cupboard ever since and is still tacky...

Linseed oil needs to breath after application, you need light and
oxygen for it to dry properly. If you put your walking stick in a
naturally lit and well ventilated area it will dry.

When used in paint, raw linseed oil retards the drying process
whereas boiled linseed oil accelerates the process, boiled is/was
normally used in synthetic paints.

We used to use raw linseed to slow down the drying process on some
coach work that required a slower drying window, (usually on very
large areas) adding more boiled oil would unnecessarily speed up
the drying process but they both still need light and ventilation
to encourage the absorption of oxygen which helps it to dry.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes