Greg G.

Default Question About Cool Blocks

Swingman said:

Howdy, Greg,

Hey, KC,

I've had them on my Delta 28-299 14" for a couple of years. Saw your post
and went out to the shop and hit them with a dial caliper for you.

I appreciate you doing this on Christmas Eve!

Mine measure precisely 0.46 square, which is, as you say, about 15/32".

Same here...

I never had a problem installing them, or adjusting them and they work fine
on the saw.

Hmmm....

Thanks, I was a little concerned by this - I wonder why they make
them so danged small? They definitely cock in the bore, and seem
awfully sloppy to me. Well, at least I didn't get an errant batch.

Seems to me, that depending on how they are installed, they could
pinch the blade when acted upon by blade movement.

I modeled them in software, and sure enough, this is what happens:
(blade clearance is increased slightly so the human eye can perceive
the blade pinch)

These are very small animations that will load in Media Player on all
Windows systems. Probably won't work on anything else...

Perspective view:
http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/images/CBanim01.avi
(21kb)

Front view:
http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/images/CBanim01.avi
(44kb)

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/images/drain.jpg

Anyway, Thanks Again for everyone's input on this. Being the anally
retentive engineer type, I will probably shim them before using.

Merry Christmas! Hope everyone gets what they desire.
(Health, Happiness, Family, Whorled Peas, and TOOLS!!!)

Greg G.