Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

On Apr 24, 1:19*am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In article , Tegger wrote:
ransley wrote in
:

Every building ive covnverted to cfls the electric bill dropped
50-60%, I guess you have money to burn because I know of no one who
would not love a 50% reduction.

What kind of building? Are we talking apartment buldings with tons of bulbs
in the common areas? Do you force your tenants to install CFLs in their
units?

* My experience is that landlords do not force tenants to use CFLs in
place of incandescents. *It appears to me that one reason is that the
energy savings from tenant use of CFLs is in tenant's electric bill for
lighting and tenant's electric bill for air conditioning. *To a smaller
extent, tenant use of CFLs in place of incandescents increases the
landlord's heating bill.

* I suspect that is a significant reason why my landlord filled my
included-in-apartment light fixtures with incandescents that are rated
to last 5,000 hours at 130V.

* While the landlord used a fair amount of CFL usage for hallway lights
that are run on the landlord's dime.

The heat is generated, you put it in,
whether or not the bulb is off, but who only runs the AC when no
lights are on, kinda like torchure isnt it!

When the sun isn't beating down, it's easier for the A/C to keep up without
running all the time. I guess this doesn't apply in places like Phoenix in
July, but I'm not in such a place.

I bet you never did a
cost comparison of BTUs from Ng to electric because for most all the
US electric is easily now double the cost of gas, you never thought
why electric furnaces and boilers dont sell in your area did you.

The dollar amount saved is trivial. Not worth the savings for the trouble.
Now if CFLs saved the average homeowner, oh, $300 per month in electricity,
the feds wouldn't need to force everybody to use CFLs, and we wouldn't be
having this discussion.

* As if savings are trivial if they are less than triple what I pay for
car insurance or less than 40% of what I pay to rent a larger 1-bedroom
apartment with free off-street parking and located within walking distance
of a major public transit terminal?

--
Tegger

*- Don Klipstein )- Hide quoted text -

Building hall ways and my houses. I dont like tenants to use cfls,
because they pay electricity and incandesants help lower my heating
bill in wInter!