Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fluorescent fixture won't turn off completely!

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:03:45 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Apr 23, 10:07*am, mm wrote:
A friend tells me that, The two fluorescent bulbs in the furnace room
were were doing what they do in old age. *After the electrician had
installed AC-connected smoke detectors, I saw that the light was
partially on even when switch off. *So I disconnected the fixture.

And he wants to either fix it by replacing parts or install a new one.

For once I know the project beforehand and can ask your advice
beforehand, since I certainly don't know what to do.

How can it be partially on when the switch is off? * How can
disconnecting the fixture be more effective in turning it off than
just flipping the switch?

It didn't used to be like this. * Certainly the new AC smoke detector
doesn't have a magnetic field strong enough to make this happen.

Advice?

Sounds like whoever installed the smoke detector may have connected it
to the switch wires for the light.

Jimmie

Thank you, and Keith, Dufas, and Terry. You all agree on the problem.
That' pretty good. I"m going over there on Sunday, and for once I'll
know something before I get to a project. I'm curious to see what can
be seen, and they'll give me lunch. I may just call him and tell him
what you said, to save myself time, but I really do what to see what
the ee-leck-trishon did, if I can. .