Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

In , wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:31:32 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

keith wrote in
:

On Apr 23, 2:28Â*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:58Â*am, keith wrote:

.45c a bulb, 1.85 a four pack for HD CFLs, you need to do some
learnin.

For cheap crap that looks like hell, will *not* last 9 years (and the
company won't anyway), and is a fire trap, perhaps. You need to
*think*.

Incandescents used to be 30¢ a bulb until the recent legislative attacks.

And you ain't gonna get no pretty light out of the bargain-basement CFLs,
that's for sure.

Assuming you get any light AT ALL after a couple months.

My experience other than dollar store stool specimens and Lights of
America and using CFLs in bad places such as motion sensor lights is an
impressively high rate of achieving average life expectancy of 4,000-plus
hours.

(Though not all take recessed ceiling fixtures and small enclosed
fixtures well, and that gets worse as wattage increases, especially past
23 watts.)

And they have been improving. If I had to buy one tomorrow, I would
expect 5,000 maybe 6,000 hours real-world average-home-use life expectancy
excluding what I mentioned as not-so-good CFLs and not-so-good places/ways
to use CFLs.

I have even gotten good results with cheaper brands sold by Home Depot,
with my main complaint being that some of the N:Vision ones they sold a
few years ago audibly buzz, though not loudly.

CFLs tend to be better if they have the Energy Star logo or if they are
of one of the "Big 3" brands (GE, Philips or Sylvania), especially if
both.

- Don Klipstein )