Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Troubleshooting well pump ( with pics)

On Apr 23, 11:38*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Apr 23, 8:22*pm, Mikepier wrote:

On Apr 23, 11:10*pm, BQ340 wrote:

On 4/23/2010 11:06 PM, Mikepier wrote:

I recently got a used Goulds well pump. I have an existing well in my
basement that I would like to use for irrigation. This is how I hooked
it up.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

The water in the pipe is about 20" below the basement floor, so I
assumed the pump should be able to suck it out with no problem, but
when I tested it out, I only get trickle of water from the outlet ( I
hooked up a hose for testing purposes). *I'm not sure if I need a
check valve also on the input side, but I had the pump on for a good
10 minutes, and it was not spitting out a lot of water. I'm sure the
connections are air tight.
So now my question is from the pics, did I hook it up right? And how
do I know if the pump is good or bad?

Did you try priming the pump? Some pumps don't self-prime.

MikeB

Do you mean fill the pump with water? I did that. I filled it with
water through the outlet pipe.
Unless I'm doing something wrong.

You need to fill the pump and the piping all the way down to the
water.

When was the last time the well produced? *What was the flow rate at
that time?
What is the capacity of the pump? *hp?

Or it you don;t know those answers....Gould Model Number?

Maybe the pump capacity far exceeds the well delivery capability (the
pump is removing water faster than the surrounding rock or soil can
"resupply" it)
and the pump is "starving"?

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

I did not remove the top cap on the well side and fill that with
water. I could try that. But there are also 2 brass plugs on the side
of the pump. Not sure what they are for.

As far as he history of the pump, I don't know. But I remember the
previous owner had a similiar pump, so I assume the well has
sufficient water supply.
From the plate , I can barely read the model # SKB713.