Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Fast CNC & WD

"Dave__67" wrote in message
On Apr 22, 1:15 pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
John, I think I remember you're a pro machinist from AMC. I used to lurk
there till the OT made it useless. Anyway, I use toilet water (water and
6%
soluble oil) on AL - flood on the CHNC lathe and heavy zero fog mist on
the
mill. I used to use oil in the CHNC but didn't like the mess in the
shop.
Just curious, does anybody use kerosene in machines like this? It would
slowly evaporate and not leave an oil film on everything.

You mean like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRg2f_gwkQE

They're lucky the pretty white vaporized kero after the first flash
didn't ignite.

Dave

FWIW, and in general terms, lubricants for machining aluminum are used
mostly to improve surface finish. A rigid machine with any horsepower at all
doesn't need the lubrication for the purpose of reducing cutting forces --
although a small or light machine may.

And using a flood of miscible oil, while a common thing, is done more for
chip control than for cooling. It can improve finish, especially when you're
using low- or zero-rake carbides.

The really old, traditional cutting fluid for aluminum is kerosene, although
it was typically brushed on or dripped, not flooded. It does make a mess
but, again, it can improve surface finish.

I use lard oil when I need a good finish, on my 65-year-old South Bend 10L.
Like most old toolroom and small-shop operations used to do, I brush it on.
I also have a homemade drip can, but I seldom feel the need to use it. More
often, I machine it dry with HSS cutters.

--
Ed Huntress