Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Fast CNC & WD

Winston wrote:
On 4/22/2010 7:59 AM, John R. Carroll wrote:
Winston wrote:

(Cheap substitutes for WD-40 as a cutting oil for aluminum)

Does that mean I could use diesel fuel at $3.40 a gallon
(or less than 3c per oz.)?

Yes, it does.
The smell is awful because of the volatile's however and there is
"stuff" in fuels that can be problematic in the long run.

I had no idea there were so many. Wow!
http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/fuels/additive/web-gas.htm

What you can't do is use this stuff either pumped or misted.
Brushing it on or squirting it from a bottle is fine.
You will be making a bomb if you create a mist cloud in your garage.

I shall try deodorized kero in a squirt bottle next time I am sawing
aluminum.

Oil will work better with a saw because it stays with the blade better.
Sulferized cutting oil is the best, lard based is pretty good and even plain
motor oil works pretty well.

--
John R. Carroll