Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_9_] Steve B[_9_] is offline

Default Trailer brakes question

"BobH" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Today, I took a friend's trailer a few miles to pick up some material.
It is a tandem axle 16' trailer. I looked back, and there was smoke
pouring

snip
A mechanic friend of mine said to just take off all the shoes and
everything, and not be bothered in the future. My friend pulls this
with a 3/4 ton truck, enough to handle the trailer and load.

What would you do?

Steve

The brake assemblies are not that expensive, if you have it apart,
replace them.

I don't know about Utah Law, but when I registered my utility trailer in
Arizona, they said anything over 1500# has to have brakes.

BobH

In Utah, anything under 700# doesn't even require a license plate. When
they inspected this trailer, all they looked at was the VIN. They did not
even have me fire up the lights.

Steve