Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Trailer brakes question

Today, I took a friend's trailer a few miles to pick up some material. It
is a tandem axle 16' trailer. I looked back, and there was smoke pouring
out of one wheel. I had just started from a stop, and was doing about 15
mph. I pulled over, put it in reverse, and then went forward and all was
good. The tire had jammed up in some way, and the smoke was from the tire
skidding, and not from the hub.

This trailer has electric brakes, but they are not hooked up. When I got
home, I had driven about eight miles. That one wheel was very warm, and
the outer brake drum was nearly hot.

I think what has happened is that some component has come loose inside
there, and jammed. Backing up unjammed it, but there must still be
something causing the shoe to come out and engage the drum making it hotter
than the rest. The rest were cool to the touch.

I am going to block the trailer up tomorrow, and take that wheel off first,
and look for loose parts, or obvious failure.

Should I just put a spring on there to hold the electric brakes closed? I
would do this to all four wheels. Plus, check the bearings while I have it
in the air. This trailer is not used for heavy loads, and my friend would
probably not want to spend the $$ to have it put back as new, as it was
manufactured in 1965.

A mechanic friend of mine said to just take off all the shoes and
everything, and not be bothered in the future. My friend pulls this with a
3/4 ton truck, enough to handle the trailer and load.

What would you do?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in news:cmd2a7-6m62.ln1
@news.infowest.com:

What would you do?

Pull the hub and see what got jammed.

There's a solenoid that pulls/pushes the shoe against the drum when current
is applied, therefore there shouldn't be anything dragging when the brakes
aren't gettinng any current.

You might also want to first make sure that the breakaway switch hasn't
been triggered...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

It won't matter that it's a 3/4 ton truck if the truck is *empty* and
there's 10,000 lbs poorly distributed on the trailer. Since you are
Utahrds, yeah, do what the mechanic said.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:05:57 -0700, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

[...]

Fix it right (or have him fix it) so -you- don't become legally liable
if he gets into an accident after you removed his brake shoes for him.

If it were your trailer, you could do as you wanted. Removing the
brakes (and wiring for such, so you don't false advertise if you sold
the trailer to someone else) are probably not good choices for a large
trailer which can carry heavy loads. YMMV

--
"I think you very well may see a revolution in this country and
it will not be a revolution to overthrow the government," he said.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

I am in full contact with the owner, and have a call in to him right now
asking him of previous problems, etc, with the trailer. What makes you
think I would seriously alter the trailer brakes on another person's trailer
without consulting that person first?

BTW, it is HIS trailer, but for now, it is titled in MY name. Don't ask.

Steve

Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote in message
0...
"Steve B" wrote in news:cmd2a7-6m62.ln1
@news.infowest.com:

What would you do?

Pull the hub and see what got jammed.

There's a solenoid that pulls/pushes the shoe against the drum when
current
is applied, therefore there shouldn't be anything dragging when the brakes
aren't gettinng any current.

You might also want to first make sure that the breakaway switch hasn't
been triggered...

I'd be doing that right now, but it is a ****ty rainy day outside. So,
instead, I am unloading 2200# of pavers into the garage for a honeydo
project.

Steve

Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

The brake assemblies are not that expensive, if you have it apart, replace
them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

It quit raining, I got the pavers unloaded, so took off the wheel. Steel
salad would be the best description. Something cut loose, shredding lots of
stuff in there. One brake show was bent out of shape. The backing plate
was seriously bent inward toward centerline. The opposite side was rubbing
the drum, so had to hammer it back enough for the wheel to turn. The whole
backing plate, and whole brake assembly will have to be replaced. Oh yeah,
the tire has a flat spot on it, too.

Bearings looked good, tho. ;-)

Supposed to talk to the owner in the next day or so. Will see if he wants
to fix it, or remove all the brake assemblies.

Steve

Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

In your shoes I'd fix all 4.

Just in case...

Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Just replace the unit. Cheap.
http://www.championtrailers.com/BRAK...RAKES_ELECTRIC
$80 a pair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Today, I took a friend's trailer a few miles to pick up some material. It
is a tandem axle 16' trailer. I looked back, and there was smoke pouring

snip
A mechanic friend of mine said to just take off all the shoes and
everything, and not be bothered in the future. My friend pulls this with
a 3/4 ton truck, enough to handle the trailer and load.

What would you do?

Steve

The brake assemblies are not that expensive, if you have it apart, replace
them.

I don't know about Utah Law, but when I registered my utility trailer in
Arizona, they said anything over 1500# has to have brakes.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill McKee" wrote

Just replace the unit. Cheap.
http://www.championtrailers.com/BRAK...RAKES_ELECTRIC
$80 a pair.

This one needs every piece of hardware in there, plus a new backing plate.
The electric device got chewed up pretty good, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BobH" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Today, I took a friend's trailer a few miles to pick up some material.
It is a tandem axle 16' trailer. I looked back, and there was smoke
pouring

snip
A mechanic friend of mine said to just take off all the shoes and
everything, and not be bothered in the future. My friend pulls this
with a 3/4 ton truck, enough to handle the trailer and load.

What would you do?

Steve

The brake assemblies are not that expensive, if you have it apart,
replace them.

I don't know about Utah Law, but when I registered my utility trailer in
Arizona, they said anything over 1500# has to have brakes.

BobH

In Utah, anything under 700# doesn't even require a license plate. When
they inspected this trailer, all they looked at was the VIN. They did not
even have me fire up the lights.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote

Just replace the unit. Cheap.
http://www.championtrailers.com/BRAK...RAKES_ELECTRIC
$80 a pair.

This one needs every piece of hardware in there, plus a new backing plate.
The electric device got chewed up pretty good, too.

Steve

That includes the backing plate. Just bolt it on and everything is ready to
go. Same place is where I use to get my drum brake backing plate assemblys
for the boat trailer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote

Just replace the unit. Cheap.
http://www.championtrailers.com/BRAK...RAKES_ELECTRIC
$80 a pair.

This one needs every piece of hardware in there, plus a new backing
plate. The electric device got chewed up pretty good, too.

Steve

That includes the backing plate. Just bolt it on and everything is ready
to go. Same place is where I use to get my drum brake backing plate
assemblys for the boat trailer.

Cool. Nice to know. I thought it'd be a lot more than that.

Steve

Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:40:01 -0700, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You misread me. I meant don't do it for him because you'll be liable.
And if you do it for yourself and then sell the trailer, liability is
the same reason for caution.

BTW, it is HIS trailer, but for now, it is titled in MY name. Don't ask.

Hehehe. OK.