Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Fast CNC & WD

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:

For those who deride WD as a coolant / lubricant. It does wonders on
Aluminum. I know and have seen that I get faster results with the
WD, but some of my projects have cut times so long I can't stand
there and spray regardless. I just had never realized HOW MUCH
difference it makes. I am talking an order of magnitude difference.
We aren't talking a 20-50% improvement in efficiency, but in this
particular experiment nearly 2000%.

I mostly cut dry on my Bridgeport. I find Kroil works well for tapping
in aluminum, for tapping in steel I use regular cutting oil.

I usually cut dry too , but I've been machining some pieces I recently
cast from aluminum scrap (car wheels) and it's pretty gummy . Since I have a
case of NAPA penetrating lubricant (thanks son!) I decided to try it ...
worlds of difference !
I think almost any light oil/solvent would give the same results - haven't
I heard of people using diesel fuel or kero as a cutting fluid ?
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"