Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Photocopy machine

aemeijers wrote:
Evan wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:46 pm, me wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:31:45 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
Another urban myth... They don't make hard drives which could
store every image copied by a copier -- just no way to store the
data for 2 million copies on one hard drive... If the machines were
set up to be able to do this the data would have to be "harvested"
frequently to prevent overwriting of the stored images...
Well, do the calculations on how many images you can store on a
terabyte. Admittedly, the drive is probably transitional and somewhat
smaller, but with the capabilities being added to networked office
machines, they will be ever expanding.

Do the calculations -- Terabyte drives are REALLY new... The copying
machines in question are older and awaiting resale after a company
has retired them...

Not to mention, consider the hacking opportunity for a networked copy
machine. I doubt the security is anything to write home about...
employees could probably easily hack internal corporate copiers with
little difficulty and do regular downloads of materials.

LOL... 90% of all the companies out there that have more than a few
dozen employees track EVERYTHING that a user does on their
computer at the office... That would include "hacking attempts"
and how many files and how much bandwidth a user uses during
their time on the network...

If corporations feel that this is a possible risk, then like any other
computer device they should remove the hard drive and physically
shred it in a machine which is capable of destroying small metal
parts prior to abandoning the machines to non-corporate agents...
I have a device like that I use when disposing of old drives (which I
have some unjustifiable habit of holding on to when they retire, then
disposing of them when they become seriously obsolete): It's the 2 lb
sledge. Does a good job. Sometimes I unscrew the drive covers and just
attack the platters, some days I just keep banging until the hammer
does it for me.

A sledge hammer ? Needlessly dangerous... And you would not
destroy thousands of hard drives in that manner in any productive
time period... They make industrial shredding machines that will
shred just about anything put into them, computer drives, documents
still inside binders... They are cool to see in action...

~~ Evan

A waste of resources and hardware. There is a public-domain script out
there which calls a firmware routine built into most recent IDE/SATA
drives, and non-destrutively clears the data table for them. Nobody
short of a first-tier forensics company or NSA could recover them. The
process is approved for sanitizing up to 'secret' level drives. And it
is QUICK, unlike software-based wipe routines. A minute or two per drive.

The 'when in doubt, destroy' reflex is a sin, IMHO.

I use "Active Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser" available he

http://download.cnet.com/Active-Kill...-10188745.html

http://tinyurl.com/amhwg9

TDD