Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Teen electrocuted changing bulb at gas station

"Tegger" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in :

"Bob F" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote:
(04-19) 13:09 PDT DALY CITY -- A 19-year-old gas-station worker in
Daly City was electrocuted as he was changing a fluorescent light, an
autopsy found Monday.

Mustafa Algazawy of San Francisco was changing a 16-foot-long,
120-volt bulb at the 76 gas station on South Mayfair Avenue when he
was electrocuted about 1:20 p.m. Sunday, said San Mateo County Coroner
Robert Foucrault.

Is there really any such thing as a 16 foot bulb?

Special sized high output fluorescent lamps are made for sign lighting.

I can't find that; not online anyway.

I /do/ find specialized ballasts that are made to accommodate total bulb
footage of up to 16ft. This means /bulb combinations/ that total 16ft,
such
as two 8-footers, four 4-footers, etc.

I've handled 8-ft fluorescents, and it's not easy. I can't imagine how
hard
it must be to handle one twice that length.

--
Tegger

I don't know if there is one 16', but they do make custom sizes. I had to
get one for a sign that was either 10 or 11 feet long. It actually looked
like two bulbs welded together. These were T12 HO lamps