Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Metalworking

On Apr 18, 10:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Don Foreman" wrote in message

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:44:17 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Anyway, I just wanted to share a day in the life of a real metalworker,
who's out there doing it and not sitting around talking about bull****
political **** all day.

YMMV

Steve

I created an opportunity for a metalworking project. After a bit of
cleanup my first try at stress-free pillar-bedding bedding a rifle
actually doesn't look bad at all. *While reassembling the trigger assy
to the barrelled action, I had this little spring within an amoeba's
red **** hair of aligned and ready to poke the pin when ... PING! That
spring is now orbiting Fargo for all I know. *Oh darn! *I had a
plastic bag right there at hand but I thought I wouldn't need to work
in a bag to keep track of that little ****ant spring. *Wrong-o!

So now I need to make a spring from my memory of what that spring
looked like. * I can probably eventually get one from Savage or
Brownell's or someone but I want to get this rifle back in service so
I can see how it shoots.

I got one of those little telescopic magnets that look like an old car
antenna, but small enough to fit into one's pocket, complete with rare earth
magnet and pocket clip. *I have found more than one small item that went
flying, and I had very little confidence in finding one of them. *It's kinda
like fishing.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

HF has my new favorite fishing tool, consists of a RE ring magnet with
an LED flashlight in back of it and a telescopic handle. Collapsed,
it isn't much longer than a regular Mini-Maglight. THE Thing for
fishing around for parts that went Sproing. I leave it hanging by the
magnet from a section of wire shelving until needed. Sucks those tiny
springs, pins and clips right out of the cracks under boxes where
they've embedded themselves.

They have a tinier version with an acrylic end, the magnet is a lot
smaller and I've had one come loose. Good for restricted access
areas, though, the end is about 3/8" dia.

Stan