Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hey..you guys in Oz..whats this about?

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:37:59 +1000, "Grumpy"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
Stop culling dingoes, they're our vulnerable species
May 21, 2009

It's a bit of a beat-up actually. There are still lots of the *******s
about!
The problem is that there aren't a lot of purebred Dingos left as they have
a tendency to interbreed with anything vaguely resembling a dog. In the
outback, where they belong, they do a service by knocking off the feral
cats( which eat anything smaller than themselves) but they take a lot of
lambs when they get onto sheep stations. They take up the niche in the
environment that coyotes occupy in North America.
The ones on Frazier Island are still pretty much a pure strain, but they
have been fed by tourists and lost all fear of humans. A boy was killed by
them about ten years ago and a few of the most aggressive ones were quietly
shot while the Rabid Greenies were away looking for television cameras. They
have again multiplied and there are apparently a number of aggressive ones
about again.

I wouldn't take my granddaughter there.

Incidentally, there are far more kangaroos now than there have ever been.
Their numbers are limited by the availability of water,and, as graziers
drill wells to supply water for their livestock,they benefit as well.
They don't tend to damage the surface of the land as much as cattle and
sheep,so there have been a few attempts to sell roo meat in bucher shops and
supermarkets. I've tried it, but it has to be eaten quite rare as it gets
very tough if cooked any more than medium-rare.

Ah! Thanks!

I live in Coyote country, and shoot them whenever I can, as they eat
California Kit foxes, which indeed are a rare and endangered species.

http://www.conservationinstitute.org...cn_kit_fox.htm

http://virtual.yosemite.cc.ca.us/ran...s/17kitfox.jpg

http://www.canids.org/gallery/Popup19385.jpg

They are getting quite scarce here but have learned that they are
safer..when around humans. So we are finding dens close to housing
developments and we see a few of them time to time, at the local gas
stations, where people will buy hotdogs and hamburgers and feed them, at
least in my town.

But they are getting scarcer. Fish and Game Department has quietly put
out the word that they would like to see the coyotes thinned out a
bit...so we do it whenever possible.

My part of california tends to run in drought cycles..5-7 year lengths
then a couple years of rain..and then another drought cycle..and rabbits
which are both species main food..tend to come and go with the cycles.

During the last few years of each cycle..coyotes come into towns and
feed on cats, small dogs and other "town" small critters as well as the
kit foxes, so Ive killed hummm 20 or more in and around my property in
the last 10 yrs, and since I live right at the edge of the housing
area...I hear them all night long.

Thanks for the info

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate