Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default New Stihl Chainsaw

Steve Barker wrote:
Tony wrote:
Looking to buy a new chainsaw. How do the low end home owner type
Stihls hold up? I'm not normally cutting firewood, but it seems a few
75 foot trees close to the house have to come down each year so I can
sleep at night. Lets say I cut down about 5 trees a year with
diameters from 12" up to 18", up to 75' tall. Is a low end model with
an 18" chain enough? I'd definitely like one with the newer easy to
adjust chain.

I have been using a crapsman/paulon? and the only thing I hated from
the start was adjusting the chain. I bought it for $50 about 10 years
ago at Sears as a refurbished unit someone returned. It always
starts in 1 or 2 pulls no matter how long it sits. I'm going to spend
$18 on a new clutch part, the side with the chain sprocket is worn.

It'll be nice to have as a backup for when I screw up and let a chain
on a new saw get pinched.

If anyone remembers I asked about fixing the crapsman recently when
the bolts that hold the bar and chain started pulling through the
plastic case. I fixed that problem and I'm happy with that fix. Two
bolts to remove the muffler was all it took to gain access to the bar
bolts and for my repair. I got two bolts a little longer than the
originals and welded a plate connecting the two bolt heads together
(spaced properly so they would fit in again). It seemed to tighten up
nicely but was in the way of the muffler, so I then heated the bolts
and plate to where the plastic case was melting and snugged the bolts
up again. It worked GREAT and it's possibly stronger than new!

A Stihl is a Stihl. There is no such thing as a "LO-end" Stihl. There's
no such thing as a "home owner type" Stihl. So yes, go for the Stihl
saw that meets your budget and needs. Always use the Stihl oil in the
fuel AND on the bar and you won't be disappointed.

Actually there are 4 distinct "grades" labeled as:

Occasional Use Chain Saws, for around your home.

Mid-Range Chain Saws, for more than just around the home

Professional Use Chain Saws, for well professionals

Tree Service Chain Saws

And two more categories...

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/