Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default New Stihl Chainsaw

On Apr 18, 1:37*pm, Tony wrote:
Looking to buy a new chainsaw. *How do the low end home owner type
Stihls hold up? *I'm not normally cutting firewood, but it seems a few
75 foot trees close to the house have to come down each year so I can
sleep at night. *Lets say I cut down about 5 trees a year with diameters
from 12" up to 18", up to 75' tall. *Is a low end model with an 18"
chain enough? *I'd definitely like one with the newer easy to adjust chain.

I have been using a crapsman/paulon? and the only thing I hated from the
start was adjusting the chain. *I bought it for $50 about 10 years ago
at Sears as a refurbished unit someone returned. * *It always starts in
1 or 2 pulls no matter how long it sits. *I'm going to spend $18 on a
new clutch part, the side with the chain sprocket is worn. *It'll be
nice to have as a backup for when I screw up and let a chain on a new
saw get pinched.

If anyone remembers I asked about fixing the crapsman recently when the
bolts that hold the bar and chain started pulling through the plastic
case. *I fixed that problem and I'm happy with that fix. *Two bolts to
remove the muffler was all it took to gain access to the bar bolts and
for my repair. *I got two bolts a little longer than the originals and
welded a plate connecting the two bolt heads together (spaced properly
so they would fit in again). *It seemed to tighten up nicely but was in
the way of the muffler, so I then heated the bolts and plate to where
the plastic case was melting and snugged the bolts up again. *It worked
GREAT and it's possibly stronger than new!

Look at Echo, their new motors have the longest ratings of engine
life, better than Sthil, and less maintenance by those I see using
them and my dealer that also sells Sthil but recommends Echo, My Sthil
has been repaired none of my Echos have needed repairs, this year I
will buy a few more Echos.