Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

i did some metalworkish kind of stuff this past week and finished it and
erected it today.

you might remember last year i did this silly thing.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/tirealien.jpg

we're doing another "litter pick up day" here tomorrow in my little town. 4
miles of road that borders/intersects 600 acres of historic farmland the
land owner wants to convert into a 300 unit condo development. some local
residents created a "save our hamlet" organization. we pick up the litter
along those roads as an expression of our love and concern for that parcel
of land. we'd like to keep it agriculture, hopefully interest a vineyard.
or if not agricultrue, how about a sculpture park similar to the storm king
art center? http://www.stormking.org/

The intersection of keeping things the same vs making a buck. Sometimes it is hard to
just leave property lay as it is.

Our family has some acreage but the way property taxes work, the next generation isn't
likely to be able to afford holding it in it's natural state. Currently Mom and Uncle are
looking into selling the developement rights to a conservancy but the tax law on that
isn't fully developed.

We would just like to have the swamp, stream, and highland stay the way it has been for
the last couple generations if we can work it out.

well, so, this year i did another tire "sculpture" (from teh tires that had
been dumped there for the past 40 years.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/tirerobot.jpg

i think this one is a bit overwrought, but i got a chuckle from it anyhow.

Thanks for being one of those that adopt a highway or whatever public tract of land.

Wes