Big Tim

Default CCTV Video Capture

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:56:06 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
.. .
I'm in the process of wireing the house up with coax and cat5 cable as
well as installing an alarm system.

What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

My research so far has been informative, apart from finding out about
the capture cards that I can get for my PC.

To date I've come to the conclusion that what I want/need (to start
with) is a 4-port PCI card. Of the few I can find any details of on
the web or in the newsgroups is the Trust 814. But in previous posts
(ages ago) it seems I'm limited to only one card in a PC. I can find
this for sale (@£60 at the moment) online.

Other cards that have been mentioned such as the PICO 2000 I don't
seem to be able to find and the other systems I can find are complete
systems, such as the geovision. I'm not looking for a software
element as I'll be building a Linux based PC.

So has anyone any suggestions as to a) a make of card that would be
useful, and b) where I can get these cards.

I've already ooked at Henrys.co.uk and rfcomponents.co.uk for cameras
and stuff.

Any suggestions?

(Cross posted on uk.d-i-y and uk.tech.electronic-security)

--
Big Tim

Or this:

http://www.y3kstore.com/content.php?categoryId=188

This is the sort of thing I'd like to set up, but what this company is
offering, like a number of others I've found, is a complete solution.
So they supply the PCI card, the cameras and the software (and cable
and stuff).

But I'm not sure what I want in the way of cameras yet, am thinking of
using a Linux PC and ZoneMinder's (free) software and so a complete
solution isn't the right solution for me. At the moment anyway.

What I'm trying to find out is where I can get the 3/4 camera PCI
cards from although they seem to be a very rare thing indeed, unless
you happen to be buying a complete solution of course.

I had it in my mind that I'd get a card and put in my PC, then get a
camera and play about connecting it up using either alarm cable or
cat5 cable so that I could supply the 12v down the wire and avoid the
need for a local power supply for the camera.

Once I had this sorted I'd then get the additional cameras. My camera
list is something along the lines of Front Door spyhole/external,
Lounge, Kitchen and one external covering the Drive and Caravan. The
BIG plan is to make the internal cameras part of the alarm system, so
if someone gets in the house then I've got pictures of them.

So, in my enthusiasm I thought it'd take an hour to find a PCI card,
then order a card based camera and I'd have a "Project" for the
weekend. It was while trying to find "lots of choice" that I found
that's there's very little choice out there.

What it looks like I'll be getting tomorrow is the Trust 814 PCI
interface (http://www.trust.com/home/ and follow the products
security camera systems links) for about £70 and a board camera from
somewhere. On one of the NGs I've read that only one board can be in
a PC so that is a limitation, but as I can't find an alternative and I
should manage to cover the house with 4 cameras...

Thanks for the responses.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)