Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

In , wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:42:28 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:

On Apr 11, 8:49Â*am, "Pete C." wrote:

SNIP what led to this for editing for space

Apparently you have not done the math, or have made some mistakes:

60W equiv. 13W CFL, 8,000hr rated life, $1.58 ea (8pk)
60W incandescent, 1,000hr rated life, $0.6225 ea (8pk)

CFL cost for 8,000 hours = $1.58
Incandescent cost for 8,000 hours = $4.98

CFL savings in lamp cost alone $3.40

That's assuming you ever get one to last 8000 hours. I never have. I
replace CFLs more often than incandescents around here

My experience with CFLs is much more favorable. They appear to me to
actually last on average in my actual home usage 3,500 to 4,000 hours for
the ones that have burned out so far, with some distinct and notable
exceptions mostly notably avoidable. The ones that I have to burn out, of
which I have plenty, appear to me to have mostly lasted at least 4,000
operating hours. I seem to think that 5,000 hours is reasonable for
actual typical home use.

SNIP a repeating of the math

What's with the 8000 hr. b.s.? I've had a number of them last only
about 500 hours and of course I had thrown the packaging away. Now, I
write the installation date on the sleeve and file it away. Of course
if you don't have the freakin receipt, you're up the creek as well.
Even some from the same lot have different life-times. The ones that
lasted the longest were in outside enclosed fixtures and were turned
on for eight to twelve hour durations all year long.
==

Wouldn't be too bad if you could buy decent quality CFLs - but
everything today is a crap-shoot. Doesn't matter what you pay for them
they are all cheap chinese crap.

The odds get good if you get ones of a "Big 3" brand (GE, Philips,
Sylvania) or one that has the Energy Star logo, especially one with both
accomplishments.

My experience suggests to avoid Lights of America and the
even-badly-much-worse-still dollar store stool specimens.

Use them only where on average they are on at least a few minutes
when they are turned on. They are not economical for motion sensor
lights, closet lights or refrigerator lights.

CFLs can overheat in small enclosed fixtures and recessed ceiling
fixtures. Most problems in that area can be avoided by using only CFLs
overtly rated for such purposes or of wattage no more than 23 watts.
(Better still no more than 13 watts if that provides sufficient light.)

- Don Klipstein )