Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_9_] Steve B[_9_] is offline

Default Metalworking

wrote in message
On Apr 17, 7:37 am, Wes wrote:

What sized air conditioner do I need for a roughly 8' x 12' shop where
summer temperatures
seldom get over 90 degrees F? There is a lot of thermal mass in the shop
that might skew
what would be recommended for something of volume like a bed room.

Thanks,

Wes

If it has a lot of thermal mass, you could put it on a timer and run
it at night when the outside temperature is lower. Get the shop so it
is a little on the cool side and then a small unit would work to keep
it cool.

Dan

One time, I rented a 1250 sf, or so, shop. It was a metal building, with
concrete slab, and it was all insulated, and had a big heat pump on it.
Actually quality construction. In the summer, I just couldn't get it cool.
I called the manager, and he called the AC guy. He came and tested, and
pronounced everything good. He just said that I had such a thermal mass of
stored steel and equipment that the residual heat kept it from cooling. He
said if I did want it to cool down, it would take running 24/7 for about two
weeks to draw all the btus out of the steel, and then, it would shoot back
up if I opened the door, or gained the heat back. So much for an AC'd shop.
But that included about twenty bundles of tubing at any time, plus lots of
plate and other assorted steel, plus heat created by cutting and welding and
the machines.

Steve