Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_9_] Steve B[_9_] is offline

Default Metalworking

Today, I fixed my Stanley distance calculator roller. I had broken off the
POS plastic housing, so wrapped it in 22ga. steel, and then welded a piece
of conduit on it for a NEW handle. I'm thinking of going to Ace and getting
a racy handlebar cover for the end of the conduit, but don't want to appear
too professional. But it does help when that roller wants to torque out of
your hands because of resistance to measuring asphalt. It's time to show
that roller who is in charge!

Then, I took my $10 garage sale trailer, and made some side posts from high
grade treated lumber. The stake pockets were exactly the size to receive 2
x 4 (Actually 1 5/8 x 3 1/2" for the newbies), and then used 2" x 6 "
treated lumber for the side rails. Well, actually 1 5/8" x 5 1/2" for the
uninformed. Then I used the heretoforementioned 2 x 4's and a 2 x 12 for
the small strip at the head of the trailer. 2 x 12 not actual
size..............

Then, I worked on my MIG cart, welding on the bottle holder, and the welder
holder, and deciding to use some cheapo red plastic bungees with the black
balls on them, just to help hold the cords on the cart. I fully intend to
add baskets to the cart that will hold grinders, markers, squares, etc. I
also fully intend to weld hooks on it to hold my NexGen EQC autodark hood
and colorful Comeaux caps. Ditto for the cables. But, I don't want to do
that until I use the cart, and find out where exactly these should be placed
on the MIG cart. It does roll well on my wood floor of the container, but I
need to blow out the blowsand that blew in with the last blow. Seems to be
pretty sturdy, though, with a low center of gravity.

Then I just putzed around in the shop. You know, putting pliers back in the
pliers drawer of the tool cabinet. Ditto for the wrenches. Throwing away
an astounding amount of trash and flammables ...............

I did put pigtails on three ATVs so that I can put a float charger on them
and keep them charged easily instead of having to dismantle them to the
frame to get regular charging clamps on there. I used the two prong NAPA
connectors, if you're interested.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a day in the life of a real metalworker,
who's out there doing it and not sitting around talking about bull****
political **** all day.

YMMV

Steve