Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Using drywall screws for woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 8:46 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

Link to a good article posted in another newsgroup:

http://www.woodbin.com/misc/drywall_screws.htm

Personally, I'm pretty "old school" and something of a purist, and don't
like to use these other for their intended purpose (securing drywall to
framing), but I'll admit that I've grabbed them and used them a time or
three for other things.

Discussion in other ng was about coarse vs. fine threads: consensus
seems
to be that coarse threads are better in wood.

Didja know that the fine-thread screws were originally made for putting
up
drywall on metal framing? I didn't.

Long ago I used dry wall screws but that was back in the early to mid
80's.
I know better now. The number one problem with them is that I typically
build furniture. You won't catch me using anthing less than a #8 screw on
furniture. Secondly you won't find me using any thing but a square drive
screw. I have never seen a #8 or larger dry wall screw and have never seen
a square head dry wall screw although McFeeleys does acutally sell a
rather
queer square head dry wall screw.

I maintiain that using dry screw screws for furniture makes about much
sense
as using #8 square drive screws for hanging dry wall.

Why?
You want dry wall screws to cam out and slip, you don't want that when
building furniture.

"I have never seen a #8 or larger dry wall screw and have never
seen a square head dry wall screw ..."

Check out the screws on this page, especially the last row.

http://www.drillspot.com/hardware-an...-drive-coarse/

The first item on the last row is listed as # 8 and I think the last 2
items (which read 8") are typos and actually may be # 8's.

I think if a bag of candy was shown in that goup of screws it too would be
called a dry wall screw.