Jay Chan

Default Can Pan Cake Air Compressor Refill a 5-gal Air Tank for a Brad Gun?

I want to know if a small/cheap pan-cake air compressor is powerful
enough to fill a 5-gal air tank with enough pressure. I intend to use
the air-tank to power a brad gun (or a pinner) to shoot brads (let say
20 brads a day).

Because my garage workshop is near the property line, I want to keep
the noise down when I am doing woodworking. One of the thing that I
want to purchase is a brad gun. But my understanding is that those
cheap/small air compressor (oil-less and direct-drive) are very noisy,
and the relatively quiet air compressor (oil-lubed and belt-driven)
are expensive and big. I want to be able to (1) keep the noise down in
the workshop, (2) limit the space requirement, (3) reduce cost.

One way to do this is to use an air tank that I can fill it up in gas
station. But according to messages that I come across in this
newsgroup, I get an impression that this will not work because the air
pump in a gas station cannot fill the air tank with enough pressure,
and the pressure in air tank will drop to unusable level after
shooting a small number of nails.

Another way to do this is to place a small/cheap air compressor in the
basement, and run a long air hose to the garage workshop. But this is
impractical for me because I don't want to keep the door or the window
open to let the air hose out, and I don't want to go through the
trouble of adding an air hose connector outside my house.

I am thinking of buying a small/cheap pan-cake air compressor, leaving
it in a corner of my basement, and using it to fill a 5-gal air tank.
Then, I can bring the air tank to the shop to shoot brads. I "think"
the noise from the pan-cake air compressor should not be a problem if
I leave it in the basement. One more benefit is that the air
compressor will not use the very limited power supply available in my
garage. Another benefit is that I can get the air tank first, try to
fill it in a local gas station and see how many brads I can get from
it before I buy the pan-cake air compressor.

Does my plan make sense? Will this work? Any down side that I may have
overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any comment.

Jay Chan