Posted to rec.woodworking
StephenM[_2_] StephenM[_2_] is offline

Default Just got a planer... Anything I should know?

When you are ready to sharpen your blades don't waste your money on
"experts" and do it yourself....

I'd just like to second that.

I use a similar setup and I can sharpen a pair of blades faster than it
takes to drive 8 miles one-way to the "local expert" who does a so-so job.

I'll add that my jig is *way* more primative than the one shown in the
video. Brian has a sweet little jig, but you get by with way less effort
than that.

My simplifications a

* Just a well-fitted slot (TS kerf) rather than clips and brads
* No roller. I let the heel slide on my bench next to my granite sink cutout
* No height adjustment. The same bevel angle seems to work fine for both my
jointer and planer.
* I Free-hand the back of the bevel at the bech grinder so I'm really only
sandpapering the microbevel

-Steve