Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Using drywall screws for woodworking

On Apr 13, 8:46*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

Link to a good article posted in another newsgroup:

http://www.woodbin.com/misc/drywall_screws.htm

Personally, I'm pretty "old school" and something of a purist, and don't
like to use these other for their intended purpose (securing drywall to
framing), but I'll admit that I've grabbed them and used them a time or
three for other things.

Discussion in other ng was about coarse vs. fine threads: consensus seems
to be that coarse threads are better in wood.

Didja know that the fine-thread screws were originally made for putting up
drywall on metal framing? I didn't.

Long ago I used dry wall screws but that was back in the early to mid 80's.
I know better now. *The number one problem with them is that I typically
build furniture. *You won't catch me using anthing less than a #8 screw on
furniture. *Secondly you won't find me using any thing but a square drive
screw. *I have never seen a #8 or larger dry wall screw and have never seen
a square head dry wall screw although McFeeleys does acutally sell a rather
queer square head dry wall screw.

I maintiain that using dry screw screws for furniture makes about much sense
as using #8 square drive screws for hanging dry wall.

Why?
You want dry wall screws to cam out and slip, you don't want that when
building furniture.

Then there is the issue of the bugle head vs the proper countersink-
head. A drywall screw is just wrong in wood.