Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using drywall screws for woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

Link to a good article posted in another newsgroup:

http://www.woodbin.com/misc/drywall_screws.htm

Personally, I'm pretty "old school" and something of a purist, and
don't like to use these other for their intended purpose (securing
drywall to framing), but I'll admit that I've grabbed them and used
them a time or three for other things.

Discussion in other ng was about coarse vs. fine threads: consensus
seems to be that coarse threads are better in wood.

Didja know that the fine-thread screws were originally made for
putting up drywall on metal framing? I didn't.

I use them all the time. They hold extremely well, and I haven't had
one snap on me in a long time. Perhaps it's due to the impact driver
hammering the screw instead of just twisting it. The drywall screw
heads fit the DeWalt #2 Phillips head perfectly, so there's no slippage
when driving them in.

When screwing into plywood, the fine thread screws may work better.
However, when screwing boards together the coarse screws are far
superior to the fine threads. The fine threads strip out extremely
easily, especially in pine.

The guy mentioned that wood screws don't have the threads all the way
up, so they pull the boards together. The simple solution to this is
simply to drill a larger pilot hole. The pilot hole is there to prevent
the wood from splitting, so as long as it's sufficiently smaller than
the screw head it'll still do it's job.

Puckdropper