Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Using drywall screws for woodworking

On 04/13/2010 04:14 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Link to a good article posted in another newsgroup:

http://www.woodbin.com/misc/drywall_screws.htm

Personally, I'm pretty "old school" and something of a purist, and don't
like to use these other for their intended purpose (securing drywall to
framing), but I'll admit that I've grabbed them and used them a time or
three for other things.

Discussion in other ng was about coarse vs. fine threads: consensus
seems to be that coarse threads are better in wood.

Drywall screws are prone to snapping off the heads if torqued too much
in hardwood.

I generally use coarse-thread lo-root assembly screws. They're very
much like drywall screws in that they have sharp threads, but they're
designed for woodworking.

These Robertson-brand screws are good. Far superior to the flooring and
decking screws at the Borg. They also come in self-drilling versions:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...306,41315&ap=1

These Spax screws are excellent but expensive. They really are easier
to drive:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...306,41315&ap=1

Chris