Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Turning 'tall' things

I've a small lathe, a Jet 12-36 if I recall correctly and have been
giving some thought to making a few 'tall' items. From my readings
here and elsewhere getting a deep hollowing system seems the most
common route. But as there are several ways to remove the pelt from a
feline so may there be several ways to turn 'tall' things.
Sitting in my easy chair the other night I thought about making a tall
vessel, something to hold chopsticks. I lack a deep hollowing system
so got to thinking that I turn a bowl with the rim designed to accept
a top that would be perhaps 2 inches high and fit the rim of the
aforementioned bowl. Atop this top would be another top and so on
until I reached the desired height/depth/tallness.
The fits would not be poppin' tight but would be close and the whole
structure connected with superglue. I would glue two together, turn
to clean up inside and out; glue on another segment and turn again to
clean up. Has anyone gone this route?