Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning 'tall' things

I've a small lathe, a Jet 12-36 if I recall correctly and have been
giving some thought to making a few 'tall' items. From my readings
here and elsewhere getting a deep hollowing system seems the most
common route. But as there are several ways to remove the pelt from a
feline so may there be several ways to turn 'tall' things.
Sitting in my easy chair the other night I thought about making a tall
vessel, something to hold chopsticks. I lack a deep hollowing system
so got to thinking that I turn a bowl with the rim designed to accept
a top that would be perhaps 2 inches high and fit the rim of the
aforementioned bowl. Atop this top would be another top and so on
until I reached the desired height/depth/tallness.
The fits would not be poppin' tight but would be close and the whole
structure connected with superglue. I would glue two together, turn
to clean up inside and out; glue on another segment and turn again to
clean up. Has anyone gone this route?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Kevin wrote:

[...]

The "turn to clean up" step may be a problem. Appropriate joint design
can miss that. Assembled pieces often become less rather than more clean
when glued up and re-turned, if support is lacking.

Sounds to me like the direct route to what you want to turn would be a
steady rest to hold the open end (work with the tailstock as long as you
can, first). Home-made versions are quite possible (and in same cases
better than come purchased versions that lack rollers/bearings).
Skateboard wheels are your friends here.

However, for something of modest depth (which a chop-stick vase would
be, in my estimation, unless you have very large chopsticks) simply
getting a solid mount on a faceplate and going should be sufficient.
Work from the rim to the base so that you have maximum support when
working at the far end of the piece. You can also make a plug for the
open end to provide tailstock support when turning the outside. So -
mount to faceplate - given typical grain orientation, perhaps a waste
plate on the faceplate, with scrap wood boxing the squared stock, and
glue as well as screws in the (wasted) section of stock at the base. Or
some serious chuck jaws if you are a chuck person...

Mount, bring up tailstock, rough exterior not reducing base diameter.
Can finish-turn upper exterior at this point if desired. Put a drill
chuck with forstner or brad-point bit in the tailstock, bore out most of
the waste, or at least a starting hole as deep as you want to go. Pull
back or remove the tailstock, dive in with gouges/scrapers/oland to
hollow the interior. Go easy, since you don't have any support out here
(unless you built or got a steady rest) and are a long way from the
chuck/faceplate. You'll also be forced to work with quite a bit of
overhang unless you have some interesting tool-rests. Long gouge handles
are good here - so is keeping your chin out of the line of fire.

Put a conical plug in the opening and replace the tailstock for support.
finish turning the outside and part off.

Use cheap stock for a few practice pieces to improve your odds with more
expensive stock.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin wrote:
[...]

For pencil holders I mount on a chuck and finish turn the outside with
tailstock in place. Then I bore it out with forstner bits. I turn the
largest bit deep enough to get a registration for later. Then one
about 1 inch smaller and drill about half an inch deeper. Then a
smaller one, and so on. The final bit is 1 inch diameter and there is
enough room for the drill chuck to drill it to the final depth. Then I
start with the next larger and drill to final depth, until the last
one. With low speeds it is possible to drill this way and have an
inside ready to sand. Of course there is the dimple in the bottom,
but for a pencil holder who cares?

This way the drill bit stabilizes the entire turning, which would be
difficult using a hollowing tool (for me, anyway).

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

One way to stop a runaway horse is to
bet on him.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
I've a small lathe, a Jet 12-36 if I recall correctly and have been
giving some thought to making a few 'tall' items. From my readings

snip

Kevin - the advice to drill rather than use hollowing tools is good.

the 12-36 is a nice lathe, but it isn't super-duper rigid, and as you hollow
you will need the rigidity - if you are OK with straight sides (on the
inside), what I would do is rough turn the outside, then drill the inside
and clean it up and finish it - make a plug and hold with the tailstock
while you shape and finish the outside - this is the opposite of "normal
practice" but it puts you in a position to suffer much less vibration

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:54:54 -0700 (PDT), Kevin wrote:

Look up "segmented turning"
What you're proposing is reinventing the wheel and probably not going to give
you the desired result..

You can either build the whole thing at once (see staves) or build a stack of
hollow rings, glue together, mount on a faceplate and clean up, mostly with
sanding..

if you decide to hollow a solid piece, experiment with a bowl gouge laying on it
"side" at different angles... With a bit of practice, you can run a bowl gouge
straight in to hollow and clean up the walls..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In a manner of speaking, a Forstner bit acts as a steady rest while it is
drilling. That's the best suggestion that has been made. Carrying it a bit
further, after you bore out the inside, you can pull back the bit near the
mouth, and leave it there while you finish the outside.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:52:31 -0700, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

In a manner of speaking, a Forstner bit acts as a steady rest while it is
drilling. That's the best suggestion that has been made. Carrying it a bit
further, after you bore out the inside, you can pull back the bit near the
mouth, and leave it there while you finish the outside.

Tennis ball on the tailstock works for me.. Or whatever size ball fits the
purpose..

How ya doing, Leo?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

How Tall Is Your Miter Saw Setup? Chris Wolf[_2_] Woodworking 5 January 18th 10 11:23 PM
TALL BOOKCASE J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 02:16 AM
How tall a ladder? Walter R. Home Repair 6 September 10th 05 11:42 AM
Lathe not turning things round John Broadway Woodturning 7 October 18th 04 12:19 AM
Xtra tall bookcases - how? patrick conroy Woodworking 20 July 12th 04 05:46 PM