Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_9_] Steve B[_9_] is offline

Default ObamaGas $4 on horizon?

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:12:12 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

Gee, do you think that might have something to do with Obama wanting to
get the U.S. economy off oil and coal? There are billions of people
just
waiting to start living like Americans do. Unfortunately, to do that
means they will have to use oil like Americans do. The more they use
oil
the more the demand will go up and so will the price. The future isn't
hard to foresee. Oil is going to be in short supply and the prices are
going ever higher. Obama knows this very well and that is why he's
doing
what he's doing to try to wean us off oil. Then you have the other side
saying drill baby drill, as if that will change anything. I'll take
Obama's route any day of the week. At least it may work. Trying to come
up with enough oil for everyone to live like us is a fool's errand.

Hawke

"may" work? You ARE as stupid as you seem.

You probably think that his latest rhetoric about drilling is truthful.
This situation of having all this oil and gas sitting there in the ground
and not going after it creates the question in my mind, "Billions of
dollars
sitting there, and no one is really excited. What is wrong with this
picture?"

We have all these machines that run on petroleum distillates, or just
plain
LPG out of the ground, and we are thinking we can come up with all this
stuff that works on peanut oil and God knows what all oils, BUT the cost
of
R&D is more than the offset, and guess whose companies is in line for the
R&D contracts?

Follow the money.

Wean us off oil? To what? Electric cars that cost $75,000 and won't even
go 50 mph or 50 miles on a charge? Or wind systems that cost more than
regular hydroelectric or even nuclear per kwh?

It is NOT going to happen, no matter what the tree huggers say. And if it
does, the quality of life will be so low that we will be living in cave
hovels at subsistence levels with a wood fire stove and an 8 watt bulb for
illumination. And that will be in the high income families who can afford
the wind system and storage batteries. But at least we would be "weaned
off
oil and coal."

My 10 year old French 7 seater MPV does 33 miles per US gallon on the
highway
and 27.5 around town and will happily do 95mph, when needed. What's
typical in
the US?

Do you really need engines powerful enough for 40 ton rigs in automobiles?
If
so, Why?

Mark Rand
RTFM

I have no idea. Mine only has 325 hp and 610 ft lbs of torque. Gets around
18 on trips, and will jump up to 90 quick to pass a semi.

Steve