Mike G

Default Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry!

Stain is meant to go onto wood not varnish.

What ever happens it isn't going to be accomplished by tomorrow.

My suggestion, stop trying to half ass the job, sand the floor to the wood,
and start from scratch.

If the floor is gong to be heavily walked on tomorrow use mineral spirits
and get all the stain up off the varnished parts and reconcile yourself to
the fact that it is going to look like hell until you have time to do the
job right.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Mike" wrote in message
13 years ago the floor was stained with a standard woodstain then
varnished with Rustin's Clear Acrylic Gloss Floor Coating;
www.rustins.co.uk/F_coat.html All was well.

About three years later the floor was recovered with Blackfriars
Polyurethane Stained Varnish. The varnish took about a week to
dry; apparently, the polyurethane reacted with the old acrylic
coating. The floor was left with that covering and has been used
daily for the past 10 years. I assumed it was dry!

However, I have just taken advice about recovering the floor and
about 12 hours ago I cleaned the floor with weak mix of
disinfectant/water, left it to fully dry then applied Rustin's
Wood Dye www.rustins.co.uk/Wooddye.html to the entire area. I
used a cloth to wipe the surplus away from areas where the old
varnish was intact but the dye did come into contact with the
entire floor surface. The areas that were bare wood have dried,
while the areas with old varnish have reacted again and now that
part of the floor is 'tacky' or sticky to the touch.

So I need advice about how to sort this by tomorrow. I have a tin
of Rustin's Clear Acrylic Gloss Floor Coating and/or a tin of
Blackfriars Polyurethane Stained Varnish, a fan heater, a clean
brush and all the shops are closed for xmas.

Is it possible to get this dry and varnished by tomorrow, if so
how and which finish should I use?

Thanks for any advice.