Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default How to repair plastic seal for liquids used in human consumption?

In article 39,
bz wrote:

isw wrote in
]:

In article ,
Rich Webb wrote:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:45:28 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Apr 11, 4:13*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
What is the best way to reseal this junction, but preserve
the requirement that the liquid in contact will be consumed
by humans?

Silicone adhesives, as far as I know, are not particularly toxic in
the first place, and I doubt a properly cured bond would leach.

Can food be placed in contact if I use superglue? Doubt it, but
need confirmation.

Go to a pet store and get a tube of aquarium seal. It's a silicone
adhesive (which of itself is totally nontoxic), plus whatever is used
for a catalyst won't harm fish, even after very long exposure in
non-changing water. If it won't hurt them, it sure won't hurt you.

Clean all the surfaces with something like a "green scrubber", and apply
the silicone as a decent-thickness fillet. You can smooth the stuff with
a finger wetted with mineral spirits (which will evaporate by the time
the silicone is cured).

Isaac

In an aquarium, the sealant is not in contact with hot (near boiling)
water.
I would not rely on 'safe at room temperature' as an indication of 'safe at
elevated temperatures' and would distrust any company that did so without
extensive testing.

You can rely on the known characteristics of silicone rubber.

Isaac