Edwin Pawlowski

Default Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry!

"Mike" wrote in message
news4rguvkqq3jgufhq8362lvb8790igj0jr3@duab...

I'm no expert, but I believe when re-staining a hard wood floor you

needed
to have completely removed all old varnishes, etc. As you stated, where

the
wood was bare it has dried. That's the secret. You need to get all of

that
off the floor, then buff or sand it good, then stain and later varnish if
desired.

This is not practical though, there would be far too much dust
and general upheaval and I simply don't have time.

Then don't bitch that you made a mess. There is a right way to do things.
Mixing chemicals will have a reaction. You might get lucky with some heat,
but there is really no way of knowing for sure until you try it. Adding
another chemical may make it better or worse. Try a small spot. Perhaps
you can wipe it up and clean off the gunk with mineral spirits, but, that is
flammable and presents a danger.

After the holidays, take the time to do it properly and you will be rewarded
in the end.
Ed