Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Just got a planer... Anything I should know?

"Leon" wrote in message

Yes the finish will return with new knives and or resharpened
knives. This is not unique to your planer however all planers
have this problem. Keep in mind that planers are not finishers,
they are thicknessers. To worry about the out put quality is a
waste of time. Any thing can and will nick the knives however
that does not take away from what the machine was designed to
do. As with any material it needs to be scraped or sanded prior
to applying a finish. Those ridges will disappear during that
process.

I don't know how others tell when it's time to sharpen planer
blades, but my technique was to gently pass my hand over a planed
board. If it felt smooth, the blades were OK. If it felt rough
or had cross-grain ruts, then it was time for sharp blades.

I never worried much about nicks in the blades, since shifting the
knives a tad would wipe them out and I always made a second pass
when I'd reached the final thickness, anyway.

To understand the ruts, just think about how the planer knives
come down, plunge into the wood, go with the grain and then lift
out the chip as the head rotates. If the knives are not sharp,
they bounce against the wood or bludgeon their way into it.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain