Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default How to Hinge a Wooden Gate found here

"utilitarian" wrote in message

What's the rule for hole diameter when drilling a hole that will
receive a screw? The screw is just over a half inch in diameter.
Drill a 3/8 inch hole for it?

After I get the old gate and post out, I suppose I will put the new
post in, then drill the 2 holes in the post as levelly as possible, by
eye, then drill 2 more holes as levelly as possible, by eye, into the
gate stile, screw in the hinge parts, and hope it doesn't bind after
hanging the gate. Sound about right ? Is this how a
contractor would do it ?

Thanks

If I were doing it I would use this hinge set which is what we used on my
son's gate.
http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence...trap-hinge.htm

We drilled the bottom hole in the post so that the gate would be 2" off the
ground. Set the gate on that hinge pin with support under it. Then leveled
it and figured out where the top hole in the post should be. Added that
pin, placed the gate strap over that, marked and drilled the hole to attach
the strap.

Yes that sounds harder than measuring, it is also harder to screw up.

Pardon the pun, I like a tight hole. I would drill the holes about 1/8"
less than the diameter of the smaller portion of the screw. A little candle
wax applied to the threads will ease the insertion.

BTW, before you spend a lot of time getting these old ones out, most likely
you will find that a good bit of the thread has rusted away. It isn't worth
the effort to save and reuse them unless your money is really tight.

Colbyt