Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to Hinge a Wooden Gate found here

On Apr 12, 3:15*pm, utilitarian wrote:
*Hey, thanks for all the quick replies. *"Screw Eye and Pintle" is
what I was thinking of, if it matters. That;s the first name I ran
across, anyway.

* * * The idea of using an emery cloth to clean up the "male" part of
the hinge seems good. I went back out and looked at it, and there is a
buildup of some sort on it ( oxidation over the years?) * which might
come off with some emery cloth or maybe a file, and let it come apart
more easily.

* I was using a car jack under the lower hinge to lift it.

*I'm concerned about the accuracy needed in the drilling since it
seems like the hinges could easily bind as the gate turns, if
everything isn't lined up exactly "right".

What's the rule for hole diameter when drilling a hole that will
receive a screw? *The screw is just over a half inch in diameter.
Drill a 3/8 inch hole *for it?

After I get the old gate and post out, I suppose I will put the new
post in, then drill the 2 holes in the post as levelly as possible, by
eye, then drill 2 more holes as levelly as possible, by eye, into the
gate stile, screw in the hinge parts, and hope it doesn't bind after
hanging the gate. * * * * Sound about right ? *Is this how a
contractor would do it ?

Thanks