Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default How to repair plastic seal for liquids used in human consumption?

isw wrote in
]:

In article ,
Rich Webb wrote:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:45:28 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Apr 11, 4:13*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
What is the best way to reseal this junction, but preserve
the requirement that the liquid in contact will be consumed
by humans?

Silicone adhesives, as far as I know, are not particularly toxic in
the first place, and I doubt a properly cured bond would leach.

Can food be placed in contact if I use superglue? Doubt it, but
need confirmation.

Go to a pet store and get a tube of aquarium seal. It's a silicone
adhesive (which of itself is totally nontoxic), plus whatever is used
for a catalyst won't harm fish, even after very long exposure in
non-changing water. If it won't hurt them, it sure won't hurt you.

Clean all the surfaces with something like a "green scrubber", and apply
the silicone as a decent-thickness fillet. You can smooth the stuff with
a finger wetted with mineral spirits (which will evaporate by the time
the silicone is cured).

Isaac

In an aquarium, the sealant is not in contact with hot (near boiling)
water.
I would not rely on 'safe at room temperature' as an indication of 'safe at
elevated temperatures' and would distrust any company that did so without
extensive testing.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.