Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Just got a planer... Anything I should know?

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in
:

Don't be suprised when you start to see ridges in the out put results.
That is normal and your planer has settled into being a thicknesser
as opposed to a short lived thicknesser and finisher. You need to
sand afterwards anyway.

Shucks... I was enjoying the silky smooth output. Will the effect return
with a new set of blades? I wouldn't replace the blades to get this
effect, just curious.

Yes the finish will return with new knives and or resharpened knives. This
is not unique to your planer however all planers have this problem. Keep in
mind that planers are not finishers, they are thicknessers. To worry about
the out put quality is a waste of time. Any thing can and will nick the
knives however that does not take away from what the machine was designed to
do. As with any material it needs to be scraped or sanded prior to applying
a finish. Those ridges will disappear during that process.