Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default How to repair plastic seal for liquids used in human consumption?

On Apr 10, 11:23*am, Robert Macy wrote:
Apologies for being slightly OT, but you people know a lot.

I have a Hamilton Beach Brew Station Deluxe coffee machine. *Great
machine, but after 2 years heavy use, it has started to leak. *The
coffee pot is made with two pieces - bottom plate was inserted.

There in lies the problem. *Multiple heating and cooling cycles have
cracked open this bottom seal causing the coffe to leak down inside,
then out onto the counter top.

What is the best way to reseal this junction, but preserve the
requirement that the liquid in contact will be consumed by humans?

This coffeemaker has a nonreplaceable 'pot' as part of its stationary
assembly.

The short answer: your crack has coffee residue inside it, only
complete
disassembly and cleaning to prep it for cementing will work. The kind
of
cement that works best, depends on the (unknown) formula of the
original
plastic. The manufacturer didn't find a reliable enough glue.

Maybe RTV silicone would work; you have to ensure it wets the plastic,
and assemble with no voids. There may be some tiny amount of catalyst
(toxic) in the mix, but only a small amount of the 'skin' of the glue
joint will be
exposed to the liquid, so it'd be a microgram quantity... I'd rinse a
few times before using, but not worry otherwise. Heck, copper is
'toxic'
but all my piping is made of it.