Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Just got a planer... Anything I should know?

Neil Brooks wrote:
On Apr 11, 1:55 pm, dpb wrote:

"Trick" is to follow the shorter piece immediately w/ a longer piece of
same thickness so the infeed roller doesn't fall of the end of the short
one...still, shouldn't ever be shorter than distance between outfeed and
infeed.

I did that, even.

It was weird.

I had them carpet taped, front and back, too.

Sides and ends to a jewelry box. Laid them out in alternating order,
atop a long piece of oak. Ends were touching, board to board.

Brrrrrrr.... BANG!

Don't you HATE it when that happens ??

I certainly would if it ever did...maybe I'm not pushing the envelope
enough, but in 40-yrs never had it happen.

I've never used the tape for the purpose but I'd wonder if the tape
wouldn't be a potential culprit--if it didn't go entire length perhaps
would compress an end or perhaps might compress, anyway, not sure...

I also can't address whether the lunchbox guys are more or less prone to
the problem than an old industrial as I've never had anything less...