YJJim

Default Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1

Neal and Greg,

I appreciate your reviews, but I have actually been very happy with my
894 so far... once I figured out a few things... I'll address those
below.

I'm still trying to get over why they bothered to put an auto-collet
lock on this thing when it doesn't even work! On the fixed base, the
rack hits the base and binds before it engages. On the plunge base,
it bottoms out before it ever gets to the tang. Go figure? Does no
one even try these things out? I was not impressed, and it is not up
to PC's standards.

The auto-collet on mine works, BUT... I had to remove the plastic
"dust director" (or whatever you call it) plate. On the 894 fixed
base, there is a plastic insert that directs dust to the handle for
the through the handle dust removal. This insert prevents the fixed
base from extending to the lowest router position. I was very annoyed
when I first got the router becuase the auto-collet didn't work and
the above the table features were why I bought this thing. Well,
after examining the mechansim, I saw the problem and removed the
plastic insert. Once gone, the auto-collet on the fixed base works
perfectly. The only problem is that if you want to use the through
the handle feature, you will have to reinsert the plastic piece. I
don't really plan to take the fixed base out of my table very often so
this isn't a major concern.

I can't comment on the plunge right now because I have only used the
plunge twice and don't remember whether it worked correctly or not. I
am mostly using this router in the table.

My auto collet lock works fine on the fixed base but I don't understand why it
was designed to not work if the switch is in the on position. Why have
everything adjustable from the top of the table and then have to reach under the
table to turn the router off to change a bit? The fixed base was designed with
table use in mind so this makes no sense. You are right about it bottoming

I don't have this problem. I have mine plugged in to a seperate power
switch in the table and the router switch is always in the "on"
position. I don't understand the problem you have because mine works
perfectly.

This is also why I chose this model. Router table use with the fixed
base was one priority, without having to buy a $300 add-on lift. And
you DO have to reach under the table to fully release the router motor
with the PC, just not for minor adjustments. Moving it 2 1/2" at 1/8"
per rev isn't going to happen in my shop, however. A hex socket won't
fit through the baseplate, and I'm not all that thrilled about using
an electric screwdriver to move it anyway. None of this was the
deal-breaker, however.

I don't understand this comment either. Mine has two holes in the
plate for making through the table adjustments. First, you insert the
tool in the first hole and unlock the locking mechanism (this releases
the motor catch). Second, you insert the tool in the second hole and
adjust the height. Once the height is adjusted, you relock the
mechanism. Hence, no reaching under the table is required.

Since removing the plastic dust director insert, I have had no
problems changing bits or changing height without reaching under the
table.

I'm interested to hear if any of this helps with your problems, but it
sounds like Greg may have gotten a lemon. I am very happy with my
PC894 and have no thoughts about returning it.