Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default Just got a planer... Anything I should know?

On Apr 11, 12:02*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote :

Either get the DeWalt in/outfeed tables or build your own.

In recent testing, that was the ONE shortcoming in an otherwise GREAT
planer.

Once PROPERLY supported, the 735 took Best of Breed.

So ... congratulations on a great purchase !!

How does infeed/outfeed table length affect the size of what can be
planed? *If I extend the table, say 12", does that mean I can handle a
board 18" longer without fear of snipe?

a) Snipe isn't something to be feared. It's simply a force to be
reckoned with;

b) Without getting a $20,000 planer, some degree of snipe is a virtual
certainty;

c) The in/outfeed tables just give you a better way to level the
incoming and outgoing board, REDUCING snipe;

d) By way of BLATANT copyright infringement, I am reproducing --
without permission -- the results of the recent benchtop planer test,
showing you how the 735 stacks up, and -- most specifically -- the
difference between its snipe WITH and WITHOUT auxiliary in/out tables:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S8.../s512/scan.jpg